Saturday, 10 December 2016

Interview & Spotlight with indie author Tabitha Vohn


Tabitha Vohn writes Poetry and Fiction (genre crossover with literary or literary). I across her work a few years back via GoodReads. I have also read and reviewed two of her books: Tomorrow is a Long Time and Requiem for The Fallen.

Here you can read a mini interview we did together and check out her newest book and the winner of the Indie B.R.A.G. Prize! 

1 - Tell us more about Only for a Moment. When did you get the idea to put together a Poetry book and how was the process?

Last year I was "stuck" with two sophomore classes to teach, after four years of having only senior classes. I was a bit put out at first, but then I decided to have some fun with it; doing lessons that I normally wouldn't have the chance to do with senior classes. One of the those ideas was Poetry Friday. We'd watch slams and then my kids would write poems on a proposed topic and those who spit their verse would receive extra credit. It turned into this remarkable family of poets every Friday. A lot of laughter, tears, and finger snaps. During that time I started writing poetry again, along with my kids, and it rekindled the love of poetry in me. Poetry was my first love in terms of writing.

This past summer I worked on my next novel but wanted something to publish in the meantime. I decided to put together a collection of my best poems and--with the help of a dear friend and remarkable artist who did the cover and interior illustrations--Only For a Moment was born.

I filtered through the past nineteen years of poetry that I've written and picked the best ones. I tweaked many of the older ones along the way. They all sort of naturally coalesced into certain themes or thematic topics so organizing them in the collection was an organic process.

2 - What do you like writing most, Fiction or Poetry and why?

To be honest, it depends on the mood I'm in. I like the more instant gratification of poetry and the cathartic release of it, as it's more personal and confessional for me. But fiction is an escape into other people's lives and loves and adventures and heartbreaks. Sometimes I need that escape, and I often grow to love my characters like friends.

3 - Are you working on a new book or have plans for one? What will it be about?

I'm currently "sitting" on a novel called "A Different Path", which you can check out on my website (www.tabithavohn.com). It's my best work thus far, and I'm waiting until it's properly edited before it's published. Editing isn't cheap so....thus the wait.

I'm also working on a novel called "Walking Man's Road", which is sort of a dual exploration into antiheroes and obsession.

4 - What is your biggest wish or dream as a writer?

I wish most for a steady following of readers. They are hard to come by without that anomaly "breakthrough" that all writers dream of. I also hope that my work improves with time. And as long as someone is being moved or inspired or--at the very least--entertained by what I write, then it's not all for naught :)

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ 

SPOTLIGHT

Title: Only for a Moment
Genre:
Poetry

Synopsis:
Poetry is an act of survival. A cry to everyone and no one. Intensely personal, shamelessly honest, and oftentimes an admission of inner ugliness, Only for a Moment chronicles nineteen years of the author’s life. It explores ideas of transience, transition, and redemption through the battlegrounds of metamorphosis from young girl to woman. Each poem presents a snapshot; a puzzle piece of what ultimately becomes a collective consciousness. A road map to trace back through the labyrinth of people and experiences that define us.




~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

SPOTLIGHT

Title: Tomorrow is a Long Time
Awards:
Indie B.R.A.G. + AIA (Amazing Indies Approved)
Genre:
Literary / Romance / Time Travel
 
Synopsis:
Cal Morrison is a Midwestern farmboy who was thrust into fame during the Old Hollywood era. Now, at eighty-five, he sees his life as wreckage. At the mere age of twenty-four, Eileen has seemingly little in common with Cal, except that she fell in love with him on screen.

When Cal and Eileen meet by chance, she discovers that her feelings for him are not without merit, and he sees in her a chance for true love and, more importantly, for redemption.

A controversial experiment offers the key to them both. With the help of a German scientist, Eileen will enter Cal’s memory and, together, the two will create an alternate reality within the realm of dreams. Replacing the memory of his first wife (his leading lady in his most controversial film, The Last Tomorrow), Eileen will step into the 1960’s and discover whether love can exist between her and Cal, and whether loving him unconditionally will be powerful enough to alter the course of his destructive future.

But there is one thing that neither has fully considered: what happens once they wake?

Tomorrow is a Long Time asks the question of how powerful one person’s influence can be in our lives, the lengths we go to for love, and whether it is worth it.


~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ 

AUTHOR BIO 

Tabitha Vohn is a pen name. Her creator is a certified bookworm, thanks to the countless fairy tales, Bible stories, and nursery rhymes she was read as a child, and the Gothic, Romantic, and Contemporary novels she enjoys today.

She has earned a B.A. in English and a M.A. in Teaching, and currently teaches high school English.

On Writing, Tabitha says, “I strive to write the type of stories that I enjoy reading. Ones that question those blurred lines between love and lust, between good and evil. Ones that make us question human nature while simultaneously seeing the beauty in it as well.”

Tabitha has published three novels, Requiem for the Fallen and Finding What Is, and Tomorrow Is a Long Time, (which received the AI Badge of Approval). She is currently writing her fifth novel and is in the process of publishing her fourth.

Connect with Tabitha

No comments:

Post a Comment